Tuesday, February 08, 2005

never been so happy to smell cow shit in all my life

it was warm enough today that the ground was thawing in the farm fields and marshes that surround sackville.

had my grad photos taken today.
i think i want an mta ring.. have to look into pricing though. damned things are expensive.

in Soc class we watched a long documentary on Ukranian diasporic communities in Canada. they talked about the fight between beig 'ukranian enough' and 'canadian enough'.

if i have one regret in my life, it's that i never learned acadian french from my parents. why would they completely cut their children out of that part of their heritage? what was it about speaking the language they grew up with, that they didn't want to perpetuate? my uncle and his wife spoke french to my cousins since they were babies, and now they're fluent.
i had to learn my french from a textbook. from people who had no personal or historical link to me, my culture, or my family. i love listening to my mom with her family. [dad doesn't use his french at all anymore]. i love the dialect that only comes from long periods of time with a relatively enclosed culture.
when i think about it too much, sometimes i almost feel angry about it. i'm sure they only meant the best. maybe they just never really thought about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably if we had grown up in Pubnico or another place that was fluent in french we would have spoken it at home, but since we grew up in Tantallon, i guess we just spoke how everyone else spoke, and our parents didnt use their french except when visiting relatives.

Sarah

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home