Friday, March 05, 2004

Yesterday i went to visit with Dr. Fleming about my essay proposal [a linguistic cultural compairison of quebec francophones and canadian aboriginals] which he had ripped apart last week. we had our meeting and i was just leaving his office, when i hear my name.
Dr. Doyle, whose office is next door, is standing in the hall, and asks if i might visit with her for a minute. "I'd like to talk to you about your decision *not* to do an honours"..
Turns out she had overheard me talking with another student in her "sociology of cyberspace" class about it, and had become upset. "I think you're a very bright student- all of the professors do- and i just hate seeing smart women sell themselves short," she insists.
I assure her that my decision not to do an honours has more to do with my inability to complete one in the four years and that i really don't wish to hang around mta longer than usual. She fears that I want to do a B.Ed. and go into teaching only because there's 'nothing else out there for me'. I again assure her that's not the case- that i do actually think i'd enjoy teaching.
[i had no idea teaching was looked down upon so badly.. not that i'm even close to deciding whether or not that's what i'll actually do..]

still- it was pretty nice of her to worry about me. my ego is boosted by knowing that i might still be viewed as a good student, despite the drop in marks i've gotten here at mta. makes me wonder how badly the 'bad' students are doing..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home